MAD Custom Coating remains on the cutting edge of technology for protective and functional finishes. Have you been enjoying our Micro Slick products? Well you should take a look at MAD Black. MAD Black is stronger, more corrosive resistant and more abrasive resistant than Micro Slick. It also does not require any oil to operate! That’s right, you can operate your MAD Black parts oil free! This is one of the reasons why we now coat our AR15 bolt carrier groups in MAD Black. MAD black reduces friction and has self lubricating properties (dry-film lubricant). Here are some of the specifications for MAD Black:
– Lasted over 3,000 hours in a 5% salt spray test (ASTM B117)
– Lasted over 6,500 cycles in an abrasion test (ASTM D4060)
– Received a 9h pencil hardness level, which is the highest level you can achieve (ASTM D3363)
– MAD Black is also extremely flexible as there was no coating loss at a 180 degree rotation (ASTM D522)
– Impact resistant 160/160 inch-lbs (ASTM D2794)
MAD Black vs. NP3, NP3 Plus, Melonite finishes, TiN, NiB-X and Micro Slick
First of all, there are many names for “Melonite.” It is often referred to as Black Nitride, Nitride and Tenifer. There are many other names for it, but those are the most common. For the sake of this article, the term “Melonite finishes” encompasses all of the above mentioned terms as well.
MAD Black is over 60 times more corrosive resistant than nickel boron (NiB and NiB-X). MAD Black is over 30 times more corrosive resistant than NP3 and over 3 times more corrosive resistant than NP3 Plus! MAD Black is more than 6 times more corrosive resistant than Titanium Nitride (TiN) and Melonite finishes. MAD Black is 15 times more corrosive resistant than Micro Slick.
MAD Black is self-lubricating and does not require any oil to operate. NP3, NiB and Melonite finishes still require oil to operate properly and to keep from corroding.
MAD Black is applied at only 1 mil (0.001 inches) in most cases, but can also be applied at 0.5 mils. This means you can have MAD Black applied to almost any part you can think of and it will not affect tolerances. There are few cases where tolerances can be an issue. In such cases we recommend Micro Slick, which can be applied at 0.1 mils to 0.5 mils.
MAD Black can be applied to any substrate except for rubber. We can apply MAD Black to any type of metal including aluminum, steel, stainless steel, brass, copper, etc. It can also be applied to plastic, polymer, G10, Micarta and wood. NP3, NP3 plus, Melonite finishes and TiN can only be applied to alloy metals. Micro Slick is not limited to only alloy metals, but it can only be applied to metal parts.
MAD Black can withstand temperatures over 500 degrees fahrenheit without failure. Micro Slick can withstand temperatures of up to 1200 degrees fahrenheit.
MAD Black makes your parts easy to clean. You can simply wipe them with a clean rag or spray them down with Brake Kleen. MAD Black is impervious to solvents including acetone, gasoline and 5% HCL solution.
Do you have a “go bag” or “bug out” gear? MAD Black is the perfect solution for firearms and items that need lubrication and are stored in a place ready to go. Now you never have to worry about keeping your parts oiled again! Get your parts coated with MAD Black and don’t worry about oil maintenance!
We sell the best mil-spec BCG on the market. Our BCGs are 100% manufactured in the USA by Azimuth Technology. Here are our BCG Specs:
– Mil-Spec 8620 tool steel M16 bolt carrier w/shrouded firing pin
– Carrier has 126.96.36.199 MIL-STD-171 hard chrome bore
– Mil-Spec tool steel carrier key
– Carrier key has 188.8.131.52 MIL-STD-171 hard chrome bore
– Carrier key is attached with Grade 8 hardware and properly staked per Mil-Spec
– Bolts are CNC machined from Carpenter No. 158®
– All bolts are shot peened pre the current Mil-Spec
– All bolts are Individually High Pressure Tested (HPT) and then Individually Magnetic Particle Inspected (MPI)
– Tool steel extractor, shot peened, fitted with a Mil-Spec black extractor spring insert and Mil-Spec Viton o-ring
– Mil-Spec firing pin with 184.108.40.206 MIL-STD-171 hard chrome finish
– Mil-Spec cam pin
– Mil-Spec firing pin retaining pin
– Every part is coated in MAD Black except for the springs, roll pin and gas rings